My stash of vintage needlepoints has a new life! Every stitched panel with so many old stories and many new ones to come.
I was thinking of the hands that embroidered the canvases and of First Daughter who will curl up on it with her son to read and make up stories together.
To make the upholstery fabric, I cut preshrunk muslin to fit the cushions and applied fusible web. I cut up the embroideries (I took a deep breath and just went to it…) and fitted the pieces onto the muslin to make reversible cushion covers. Then I ironed the pieces onto the muslin-fusible. I stitched all the pieces down to the muslin first with a straight stitch around each one, then with a wide, close zigzag to connect the pieces and to fill in any little gaps between them. Hook and Loop tape was inserted into one of the gussets and (purchased) heavy black piping cord around all. Leftover pieces will find their way into art books!